By making an entry, you agree that:.
- The film is one of your first SIX (6) commercials/films in the category.
- The entrant (director) has had no more than three years professional experience as a director.
- The film has been released between January 1st 2020 and June 30th 2021.
- By entering the film in this competition, you accept the terms and conditions below.
Please indicate the region where the film has been produced, not the director’s nationality.
- Northern America
- Latin America
- Asia Pacific
- Middle East
Currently ONLY the free to enter 'Born to Create Drama' contest is open.
BORN TO CREATE DRAMA (Free to enter)
The tagline, ‘Born to Create Drama’, has been with the YDA for more than 15 years; a simple but effective way of signifying the talented directors we search for and champion.
This year, in a bid to unearth even more untapped talent, we are offering you the chance to shoot a film for the YDA, the brief for which is just that, Born to Create Drama. It can be anything up to 3 minutes long and can be funny, scary, odd, exciting, unsettling… as long as it makes us sit up and take note.
They’ll be judged by the YDA Team and our favourites will be posted on our social media for the world to see, with an overall winner picked in May. If entrants are eligible, all showcased entries will be entered into the relevant category in the main competition free of charge, and the winner will introduce our ceremony in 2021, and be featured in shots magazine. It’s open to everyone, whether you’re a young director or not, and it’s completely free to enter.
- Maximum 3 mins.
- Films must include the “Born To Create Drama” tagline, an example of which can be seen here.
- Films must include the YDA2021 logo (available from the entry form).
- The competition is free to enter, and open to everyone, whether you’re a young director or not.
The main categories will open in late January 2021. The following categories are not confirmed and for reference only.
BEST USE OF HUMOUR
CHANGING THE WORLD FRAME BY FRAME
ONLINE BRANDED FILM
MID LENGTH FILM
- Changing the World Frame by Frame
- Branded Film (of any length)
- Short Film
PRODUCERS AWARD 2020
Producer’s Award is rewarded on a points basis.
- Directors must have had no more than three years professional experience (as a director).
- Entries must be one of the director’s first SIX (6) pieces of work ever made in the category.
- Films must have a release date between January 1st 2020 and June 30th 2021.
- The permission of all copyright owners must be obtained for entry into competition.
- Where possible please obscure all director and producer CREDITS from the film.
- If the submitted film is in a foreign language it’s in your own interest to include English subtitles.
- Campaigns consisting of several films can be entered but only as individual films. Each film will be judged individually.
- Films directed by a team of directors can be entered. Each director must, however, fulfil the above criteria.
- Credits for entries should be submitted via the online form.
- The award organisers are entitled to exclude films not fulfilling the above criteria.
- The award organisers are entitled to move an entry to a more appropriate category if necessary.
- To enter the competition the film must be submitted with completed entry form, payment and uploaded to the Young Director Award website before the final deadline.
- Entries MUST not exceed 60 minutes in length.
ENTERING THE FILM
- The film and a thumbnail image must be uploaded through this website. Longer format entries should also supply a teaser/trailer, edited or cut version (5 minutes or less) to be used for a final judging review and at the winners ceremony.
- The desired resolution is HD 1920 x 1080
- The format of the film upload should be .mov or .mp4 (thumbnail image is a .jpg)
- When entering a film, the online entry form must be completed, including declarations stating: That this is one of the first SIX (6) commercials/film projects made by the director in the category, and that the film has been released between January 1st 2020 and June 30th 2021.
- Entrants must pay an entry fee except for the 'Born to Create Drama' category.
- The entry process is not complete until the administration fee is paid.
- If you are paying by Bank Transfer you must pay within 5 working days of submitting the order for your entries.
- A shortlist will be selected in June from all the films entered.
- Shortlisted directors will be informed directly.
- Winners may be required to supply additional material for any promotional publications and screenings held after the YDA Show.
- The 1st judging session will be organized online in early June.
- The final judging for 2021 will also be online..
TREATMENT & PUBLICATION
- Entrants authorize the YDA to screen or publish the film or any stills from the film in connection with the promotion of the competition on all media.
- Entrants may be required to supply additional material of any winning work for promotional publication or exhibition.
- Entrants agree to hold YDA not liable for any claim that may be made against them by reason of any such screenings or publication.
- Entrants authorize YDA’s sponsors and partners to publish their work on their website and/or Social Media. Including being featured in a shots slate reel after the winners ceremony.